This course is for you if you need a term of additional English language training before you start your academic course at Kings. It is designed to integrate with Kings A-level, GCSE or Foundation courses.It will develop your language skills quickly and effectively, as well as providing you with study and communication skills necessary for success in academic studies.
The syllabus has been carefully developed by our English language and academic staff.It is highly intensive. Each term provides 280 hours of tuition. You will have an average of 25 to 28 hours of lessons each week plus 12 to 15 hours of private study.
The course is fully integrated with the academic programmes for which it will prepare you. There is a progressive series of English language teaching modules. Each builds on the one before it.
The fully integrated tuition system develops learning and study skills as well as language skills.
The course will enable students to:
- become familiar with the conventions and expectations of the UK education system
- become familiar with the style of language used in academic texts
- increase your speed in reading and writing
- enlarge your vocabulary, especially in relation to academic subjects
- learn to identify key facts and information from a wide range of texts
- learn to organise and set out factual information clearly and coherently,
- orally and in writing
- learn to identify and analyse the main argument in a text or presentation
- learn to express ideas and opinions logically and confidently using
- appropriate language learn to challenge the ideas of others and present contrasting views
- master the different types of assessment task used in the A-level exams and Foundation courses
The expected progression is 0.5 IELTS score every six weeks. Students who achieve the required IELTS score, progress to their academic programme of choice at Kings.
33 - 37 lessons per week (25-28 hours)
plus 12 - 15 hours of private study per week
Each term provides 280 hours of tuition